8.14.2013

Frayer Model Sample

The Frayer Model was developed by Dorothy Frayer and her colleagues at the University of Wisconsin. This graphic organizer will lead students to a thorough understanding of new words. The corners generally include definition, facts or characteristics, examples and non-examples.

This is the modified template used in my math classroom. Based on the content, the example corner may include non-examples as well.


In order for students to communicate mathematically, they need a deep understanding of the content. Summarizing critical vocabulary via the Frayer Model can jumpstart this process.


This vocabulary graphic organizer highlights the Common Core State Standard 7.SP.C.5 that is included in MATH-7.

8 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    Do you have any activites or assessments created with fractions on number lines? I need both positive and negative. If it is on TPT, please direct me. I need a homework assessment for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am. I will send some goodies your way...probably this afternoon before I have access to my laptop.

      Delete
  2. This is the cutest Frayer Model EVER! Any chance we can get a template?! It would go great with our PGP! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! Cute always makes me smile. :) Do you have a color preference for the word frame?

      Delete
  3. Looking for ways to increase vocabulary more into daily instruction instead of teaching in isolation. Concerned with vocab knowledge prior to spring testing cycle...ie. covering concepts tested on Benchmark that we do not teach in 7th grade CCSS curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Describe your current practice by expanding on what you mean by "teaching in isolation."

      Delete
  4. Introducing a word when it is needed for the concept. I have several ESL students and wondering how to cover the vast mathematical vocab for 7th grade CCSS. One never knows when a math vocab word shows up and students are asked to use correctly when it may not be a part of my current CCSS learning objectives. Do not want to intro words just for the sake "teaching vocab" that may or may not be on the PARCC, MAPS, or Benchmark tests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this model! Do you have a template somewhere that I could download? I'm sorry if I just missed it. Thanks!
    -Beth-

    ReplyDelete